Warehouse order picking refers to the necessary labor and parts involved in pulling an item from inventory to fulfill a customer’s order, and while it sounds relatively simple, it can be quite complex when put into practice. As one of the core workflows within any warehouse, picking operations often account for up to 55% of total warehouse expenses. For small and growing businesses, this means picking optimization should be one of the top priorities since small inefficiencies can dramatically impact the bottom line by enabling:
- Costly mis-picks
- Delivery delays that damage brand identity
- Longer pick paths resulting in wasted labor
- Outdated inventory stock counts
On the flip-side, an efficient order picking system helps reduce warehouse costs, improves customer satisfaction, and makes pickers’ jobs easier while reducing wait times and unnecessary travel paths. To accomplish this, many growing warehouses have turned to automated data capture and processing to digitize order picking for faster throughput.
What’s needed for digitized picking?
To create a picking solution for your small business that moves your business beyond manual processes and keeps warehouse receiving operations running smoothly, TPI encourages small and growing businesses to reshape operations with:
- A highly intuitive OS for faster on-boarding like Zebra’s Fortified Android. This enables seamless deployment and hassle-free navigation by seasoned and new employees alike.
- Omni-directional data capture that can capture scans at any angle whether they are close and far. Intelligent scan engines remove complications to ensure more successful first time scans.
- Enterprise-grade mobile computers that double up as both scanners and communicators, thus eliminating the need for additional bulky devices. For example, Zebra’s MC9300 empowers workers with long-range data capture and push-to-talk capabilities within the same platform, so workers can be connected to inventory counts from anywhere in the warehouse.
Picking is a crucial step towards growing your business. That’s why TPI has steps that can enhance your operations. Contact us for a free consultation of your current picking solutions.