Tablet computers have become a crucial tool for police and public safety officers, both inside and outside their vehicles. But there can be challenges when trying to deploy and integrate tablets in such a unique operational environment, particularly when it comes to device durability, connectivity, speed, and overall performance.
Consumer-grade devices aren’t built for the rugged demands of police and public safety work, and they’re typically not available with the security features to protect devices and the sensitive data they handle. This is why rugged, enterprise-grade tablets are the better option. In this article, we take a look at Zebra’s Xplore Series tablets as the ideal choice for police and public safety officers.
Zebra’s Xplore Tablets for Police and Public Safety
Available with the Windows® or Android™ operating system, Zebra’s Xplore tablets offer multiple configurable designs and form factors for virtually any police or public safety use case.
These tablets are incredibly strong with powerful durability you won’t find in any other device:
- Magnesium frame for harder-than-steel durability
- Resistance to concrete drops from up to 6 feet
- MIL-STD-810G military-grade ruggedness
- IP65-rated sealing and C1D2 certification for hazardous environments
- Resistance to extreme temps, drops, and vibration
- Resistance to wind/rain, dust, humidity, and more
- Corning® Gorilla® Glass Display with protection film
But it’s not just about durability with these devices. For example, Zebra’s L10 Series devices from the Xplore family includes industry-leading features for enhanced processing power, speed, and tablet performance:
- Intel Core i7 vPro processor
- 16 MB of RAM
- Up to 600% faster downloads
- Up to 300% faster uploads
- Up to 10 hours standard battery life
- Up to 27 hours extended battery life
- Dual SIM plus RJ-45, USB.30, and USB-C connectivity
This unique combination of computing speed and physical durability means these devices are ideal for the most demanding police and public safety environments. They can withstand all-day use while still delivering the fastest and most reliable connectivity, application performance, and touch-screen simplicity that drives optimal data sharing and workflows.
They’re also highly secure, with the following security features:
- Multi-factor authentication
- Fingerprint access security
- Kensington anti-theft lock slot
- Removable solid-state drives (SSD)
With the L10 device family, there are three models to fit specific use cases and needs. There’s a hard-handle model (XPAD L10) that allows a tablet to be easily carried on the go; a slate-style design (XSLATE L10), and a 2-in-1 configuration (XBOOK L10) that serves as a laptop or desktop replacement with a storable and magnetically attachable wireless keyboard.
Additionally, Zebra also produces the XSLATE R12 model, which is a lighter-duty yet rugged and dockable laptop replacement with a wireless keyboard. It’s an ideal option for flexible mobile computing, including a number of powerful features:
- Intel Core i7 vPro processor w/ 8 GB RAM
- MIL-STD-810 military-grade durability
- Up to 9 hours of hot-swappable battery life
- 5” 1000-nit View Anywhere® Corning® Gorilla® Glass display
- Pass-through antenna for WWAN, WLAN, and GPS
- Magnetically attached and storable wireless keyboard
- Optional SmartCard/CAC reader
Regardless of the specific model, the big differentiators with Xplore tablets are speed, power, and ultra-rugged durability. It’s a combination you won’t find with consumer-grade devices, so if you’re thinking about using tablets in police and public safety work, Zebra’s Xplore devices receive our highest recommendation.
To learn more and get additional specs or details, contact our mobile technology experts at TPI.