Wireless Site Survey – do it right the first time
Whether you employ Cisco wireless infrastructure, Extreme Network’s wireless infrastructure, HP or Aruba, TPI will help optimize your wireless network. A wireless site survey is the key to planning and implementing a successful wireless network installation. Determining the correct quantity of wireless access points and their respective mounting locations are actually the simplest tasks accomplished during a wireless site survey. TPI specializes in performing RF site surveys and it’s important to note that TPI goes well beyond the “typical” wireless site survey process.
Questions To Think About:
- Is this site indoors or outdoors?
- What is the function of the site?
- Has it been surveyed before?
- What wireless technology is currently deployed?
- What is the make and model of existing access points?
- How many wireless users are currently supported?
- What devices will be used on the wireless network?
- Will any wireless clients be mounted to vehicles?
- What wireless technology is being considered?
- How many users are to be supported?
- What types of applications are to be deployed across the wireless network?
- What is the ceiling height?
- Are any areas enclosed in metal?
- What type of encryption is to be used?
- What type of POE is to be deployed?
- What type of hardware solution is your company interested in? Fat – Fit/Dependent or Thin?
Wireless Site Survey Methodology
We employ unique equipment that will measure for sources of existing EMI (interference) that can cause hidden problems for a wireless LAN. Our wireless site surveys take into account both voice (VoIP) and data communications over the planned wireless LAN. Transmission rates, throughput utilization, and wireless channel assignments are all key elements considered and documented during a TPI wireless site survey.
Wireless site surveys record information from key areas of a wireless network including received signal strengths, access point locations, RF interference and noise levels. The reported information enables optimization of ‘access point’ channels choices of antenna’s, AP transmit power levels and locations creating a more effective wireless network.
Spectrum Analysis / RF Interference
A full spectrum analysis will include detection, measure and recording of the presence of RF Interference that could degrade the performance of a wireless network. Interference such as microwaves, sensors, Bluetooth and legacy wireless devices can impact wireless network performance.
- RF Interference
- Measurement of Signal-to-Noise Ratio
- RF power peaks
- WiFi Channel interference
- WiFi Channel Overlap
Wireless Site Survey Documentation
TPI’s wireless site surveys are considered the best in the industry. Our documentation includes items such as:
- Detection, measure and recording of the presence of RF Interference that could degrade the performance of a wireless network.
- Calculate the WiFi supported data rates that can be expected throughout the premises.
- Access point locations
- Antenna’s and other wireless equipment.
- Co-location of WiFi access points with channel selection and reuse.
- Information such as; antenna selection, orientation and polarisation.
- Signs of reflection, refraction, multipath, hidden nodes, dead spots etc.
- Detailed information on the data gathered from the survey
- Photographs the location of all wireless equipment.
- Maps of the WiFi RF coverage.
- Details of RF interference.
- Recommended WiFi Equipment list.
The TPI Difference
In addition to the scientific data gathered at each site, prior site survey experiences and creative techniques are used during each wireless site survey. This mix ensures that each new installation gets the best combination of antennas and related equipment that will maximize our client’s investment and minimize installation effort and cost.
As a value-added service, TPI offers turnkey wiring installation from our certified network contractors, providing immediate wireless and wired network testing before the installation is considered complete.
Bottom Line: With a wireless site survey from TPI, your project will be successful.